Vegan Alternatives on Thanksgiving Day
Thanksgiving Day is around the corner. As much as we love the festivities of Thanksgiving, it can present all kinds of obstacles and temptations that threaten to throw you off track. The thought of Thanksgiving Day is even enough to send some vegans running; after all, the holiday is centred around eating a turkey! What they don’t know is that a Thanksgiving Feast can be easily veganised. In fact, the Thanksgiving table is usually filled with food that is accidentally vegan or easily veganized, such as stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce and cornbread.
Here are some of our best vegan alternatives to classic Thanksgiving favourites. You never know, your delicious vegan dish could become a new family tradition!
A homemade turkey alternative can be a fun and healthy addition to your vegan Thanksgiving feast. You can have a stuffed tofu ‘turkey’ breast. Blend the tofu until smooth, season it with herbs, then press and chill. Then, simply stuff it with your favourite vegan stuffing, formed into a log shape. You can baste your ‘turkey’ with a vinegar-Dijon-soy sauce mixture while it bakes, resulting in a beautiful golden colour similar to roasted turkey skin.
Other popular vegan turkey alternatives include:
- Tofurky-available in independent health-food stores, Planet Organic, Whole Foods, and Holland & Barrett.
- Gardein’s Savory Stuffed Turk’y- a ‘boneless’ breaded fake turkey roll stuffed with cranberry rice dressing.
The main event doesn’t have to be a turkey substitute. As long as it’s delicious, warming and hearty, you’re sure to win over your guests.
Here are some great vegan centre pieces:
- Impress your guests with a variety of stuffed squash or mushrooms. They always look beautiful on the Thanksgiving table and can be stuffed with anything you like.
- Hassel back potatoes. Crispy and garlicky, they complement vegan gravy and all the veggies perfectly.
- Shepherd’s pie. You can veganise this delicious dish by replacing the meat with veggies such as mushrooms, sweet potato and edamame beans.
Many side dishes are already vegan or can be tweaked into Thanksgiving master pieces. There is Cranberry and pear stuffing, Pan seared brussels sprouts with a maple glaze and breaded cauliflower steaks to name a few! Font
The possibilities are endless!
Have a wonderful vegan Thanksgiving!
Check out our vegan range of products! https://naturavits.com/our-products/